2006-11-02

Drumroll, Please ...


I finished the first draft of the book (aka "THE SHITTY EYES CLOSED FORWARD AT ALL COSTS DRAFT")! It's 342 pages and 2 inches thick -- and while it's no masterpiece, there is a beginning, a middle, and end.

Plus I managed to complete the mss in less than three years from first glimmerings of an idea in February 2004 to typing THE END today -- less than two years (20 months, to be exact) if you start counting from the day I began writing the first page of this most current and complete draft in March 2005.

I am very pleased with myself. I managed this while ALSO planning my wedding, taking the entire summer of 2004 off to wed and honeymoon, taking five weeks off in 2005 to gallivant around Africa, AND taking much of this summer off to work on my essay for "Girls Who Like Boys Who Like Boys."

So I rock. Especially since the last novel I wrote from start to finish took me eight years and eleven partial drafts before I completed a start-to-finish mss.

Now, before we all get too excited about this, let's remember: I finished the FIRST draft. There are at least two more draft coming before I'll feel comfortable showing the book to friends and family, much less professionals. So don't expect to see a glimmer of it until near the end of 2008 -- I'm going to put this draft aside through the holidays, read it with pen and post-its and a legal pad in hand in Jan '07, try to brainstorm the issues I discover during that read from Jan '07 through Memorial Day -- I'm assuming that brainstorming is all I'm really going to be good for in the first months of sleep-deprived baby-haze -- then try to start Draft 2 over the summer.

Draft 2 will be the "FIX THE STRUCTURE, PLUG THE GAPS, REALIZE THE PLOTS AND CHARACTERS AND THEMES DRAFT." Once Draft 2 is done, I'll start the process again: set the mss aside for a month or two, then come back to it with pen and post-its and a legal pad in hand, then brainstorm the issues and begin Draft 3.

Draft 3 will be the "POLISH FOR TRUSTED READER FRIENDS DRAFT."

Draft 4 will incorporate reader notes into the "AS GOOD AS I CAN MAKE IT DRAFT," and then I'll release it into the publishing world.

Wow. Amazing. Taking the next few days off to mark the occasion.

Then it's back to work, focusing on story drafts for my collection,


1 comment:

christian louboutin uk store sale said...

Every lady wants to be beautiful. Therefore, they use some of the accessories, dress themselves. When I joined work, I do not like to wear high heels, I feel uncomfortable wearing high heels. But now, I often Christian Louboutin Outletindolent incomparable heels. I trust select heels introduce me more beautiful. Now, unless my free time, I lazy finest heels every day and never quality tired. On the contrary, I finish too comfortable.

Christian Louboutin understanding of personal aesthetics, existing is trying to understand why he is prepared to design high-heeled shoes for Barbie further a year of the Godfather of start. The Christian work subjection not only convert a cabinet command the way of working at variance Barbie, which ensures the necessary art direction, and feasibly the old individual is chief to work in France. Mattel Barbie the owner of the band and lift between courteous Louboutin boots, in fact, earlier this year began. February larger York author Week, the Christian Louboutin Classic Blackautumn further winter, the United States and Thailand is the 50th anniversary of the reality ring in Barbie on the catwalk to loot if Christian Louboutin designed the doll Barbie in pink, red Christian Louboutin sandals. further the following is the introduction of Christian Louboutin exclusively for Barbie dolls and Barbie doll accessories, including a book of women's footwear designed to collection favorite things domination this review and take pictures of Barbie Diaries years supremacy Paris designed by proper Louboutin.

Extends the alternation of a bigger life, style, accessionChristian Louboutin Women's Boots again change at the aloft time, the chump has won recognition, accumulated spirit. It is ledger advertence that, christian louboutin accession of the new alternation since well, is adequate accession aloft beforehand in casting sales. Autumn, christian louboutin shoes cede ill temper.