2006-10-24

Resistance Resolved

I returned to the novel a few months ago, surprised to find that I had a lot less to accomplish in order to finish this draft than I believed. I quickly wrote Chapters 12, 13, 14, and 15 in less than a month, and assumed I'd motor write through Chapter 16 -- the final chapter -- in a similar fashion.

And then I stopped.

I finished Chapter 15 on a Thursday morning, so I took Friday off (I try to take a day off when I finish a chapter or story, a recommendation I picked up from Dorothea Brande's fabulous book Becoming a Writer). That evening, Husband and I headed off for a weekend getaway to Berkeley, our last shot at some vacation time before the two of us become three.

Monday I returned exhausted, so I took another day off. Normally I might have pushed on through, but again, "woman's work" intruded--the exhaustion attendant to the growing of Number Three won out over my work ethic, and even dulled the guilt a little bit b/c it's not just me I'm thinking about when I sleep most of the day now.

Tuesday, I forced myself back to my favorite table at my favorite cafe--and discovered another problem related to Number Three: I'm no longer comfortable for long periods of time in the cafe chairs, so after several hours of producing NOTHING I gave up and went home. I spent most of the afternoon working on transforming our office to Three's room.

Wednesday I woke up determined to work at home, in my far more supportive chairs. We all know how it ends when I try to work at home. More energy pumped into Three's room.

Thursday and Friday I decided that as long as I was resisting work, I might as well give myself REAL permission to do so--and so I poured myself into Three-related projects, with no thought to the novel at all. The only condition: Monday I would return to work.

And I did! Yesterday I made notes for what will be the last chapter of the first draft of this book, and today I wrote the first 500 words of it!

Despite the "lost week," I don't feel as badly as I usually do about walking away from my writing. Part of that has to do with listening to the David Allen podcasts at www.43folders.com. One, in particular, is about procrastination, and ways around it/through it.

Regarding working THROUGH procrastination, it was suggested that often the problem has to do with the task at hand not having been broken down to the most basic WIDGET property of itself. In the case of Chapter 16, then, I set myself the MOST BASIC WIDGET STEP of reading the notes I'd been gathering for the last several years regarding the ending of this book.

But easy as that should have been to do--the notes are very neatly collected in a binder that is tabulated into three acts, and the acts themselves are separated into chapter groupings--I still didn't wanna. Part of that, obviously, is my general weirdness about finishing things--I get a little wonky when the end is near. I know that about myself, which I why I am a hugely happy follower of the WIDGET approach--tiny little baby steps distract me from the finish line. I'm not COMPLETING THE FINAL PAGES OF MY NOVEL. I'm "preparing the chain of events" for the chapter; I'm "writing 500 words"; I'm "writing 500 words"; I'm "writing 500 words"; and somehow, 500 words from 500 words from 500 words from 500 words from now, I'll surprise myself by making it to the finish line.

Which is how, of course, I got back to work yesterday.

But last week, I resisted the WIDGET approach, and still, I got a lot done. I moved Husband's clothes in the master closet, and turned what had been his closet into Three's domain. I sorted all the baby clothes my mother had saved for 30+ years into bins by size, and laundered the clothes appropriate for Three's early months. I sorted through 6--count 'em, 6 banker's boxes of Husband's unfiled papers, and filed them. And I started selling books we don't want, to make room for Three's first library and storage system. I didn't write--but I did something important, and pressing, and this is also GTD-appropriate. Like Allen said in the podcast, if you're procrastinating one thing, then you better have a lot of other things you're doing until the resistance passes--and I did!

That said, by week's end I was near my usual "I haven't written in a week and I'm falling mentally to pieces" point--I do get crazed when I stop work. That was sort of a relief, actually--I'd been worrying that maybe I'd be okay, not writing, just doing house stuff ... and I'm pleased to report, I'm not. I can do it about three days before I start to ache for my writing. By a week, the ache is a full-blown "get thee to a word processor!" scream in my head.

I'm guessing the moodiness isn't easy on Husband. But he did get a fully organized, color-coded wall of the master closet in return for my week at home. And I got reassurance that despite the unbelievable amount of time and attention I devote to Three's impending arrival, I haven't yet completely lost myself.

So I'm happily back to regular programming.

1 comment:

christian louboutin uk store sale said...

Therefore, as one of the member of coach factory outlet, we consider the responsibility to mention supplementary and more good and effect coach bags to people.Coach bags outlet is usually lap up our own brand image, and onceCoach Factory Outlet a lady carry our coach collection, they must love it besides don’t wonna to take factual asphyxiate. For ladies, the field we are usually complicated in are nothing more than clothes, bags and cosmetics stores and markets.Coach outlet know women’s mind clearly, so we always amenability poke their needs. Winter is coming gradually, in consequence we have presentd a lot of new again chic coach bags as you choosing.

It is indeed overwhelming to be provided discounted rates as bags from the leading American designer brands. But it would yep be really frustrating should you realize which you have truly been sold bogus ones immediately after you may have applied them already. It would really ambience like you've got been robbed. To lose getting sold a fake exercise Bag, you should greatest know the way to identify genuine ones.

Production description: Op Art print sateen fabric convertible Lurex and leather trim Zip-top closure,fabric wadding Inside zip,cellphone also multifunction pockets Handle with 10" saltation Longer strap for funnel or crossbodyCoach Wristlet Purses wear hold back 22" drop stand together gaudy break in Purses here,you may also like Coach Chelsea Op Art Business Bag Aqua. Beautiful,charming further current Coach Bags are on dangerous sale now.This guide bag really looks modern further feels cozy.The Coach bag is charming and convenient with some pockets outside.It is roomy inside also,which can store many of your things.Coach Purses are all garish sale here now!Enjoy shopping here! industry description: Op Art print sateen fabric adaptable Lurex again leather trim Zip-top closure,fabric lining Inside zip,cellphone and multifunction pockets Handle ensconce 10" drop Longer strap for shoulder or crossbody wear Coach Handbags Outletwith 22" gambol Customer who bought this Coach hoopla also browse Coach Chelsea Op Art Business Bag Purple which is lone of number one sale Coach Bags