2005-02-28

Progress Report: February 2005

MONTH'S GOALS:

Number of Days I Meant to Write 500 words: 20
Number of Days I Actually Wrote 500 words: 12.5
Excuses & Days per Excuse: Move-In To New Office Days (2); Trip to Maui (4); Prep for Trip to Maui (1); "Thinking" (1); No Time (.5)

Writing Goals: 1 draft short story, 1 draft novel chapter
Actual Progress: About 20 single spaced pages of story that is slowly, slowly, achingly slowly and in many ways circular-ly, taking shape. More notes and ideas for novel, plus a little outline re-structuring, but no actual chapter-work undertaken.

Conclusions: Got better at carving out my 4 hours of sacred writing time as the month progressed. However, I tended to let my home life intrude even when I was at the office and wasted precious hours. New plan of attack has been instituted as of this weekend, and will be adhered to daily with timer in hand (no more messing around, time running short, aging accelerating, old friends out-publishing, etcetera etcetera):

Dithering and emailing: 30 minutes
500 Words attempt: 90 minutes
Dithering and emaling: 20 minutes
Finish 5oo Words* / Write/read for another project: 60 minutes
Read / Critique for friends: 30 minutes
Blog: 20 minutes
Back-up work, tidy office: 10 minutes

*if 500 words aren't reached by end of office time, somehow, somewhere, between laundry and dinner and endless housewifing, I must find time to complete them before day's end.

Did pretty well at all that today. Got 632 words in on story, so that was good, and read some diving essays I've wanted to read for novel, and started notes on a friend's novel mss which I finished reading last week (not as quickly as I'd hoped, but I am making an effort ;)).

No comments: