2004-10-25

NaNoWriMo begins again ...

One thing I forgot about in the holiday-rush -- some insane writer somewhere picked jam-packed NOVEMBER for the annual NaNoWriMo. National Novel Writing Month is essentially what it says: Write a Novel in One Month, with "novel" defined as 50,000 words of fiction. Every year I think about it, and every year I say to myself, "SKL, you don't need them, you're mid-draft, this isn't your first stab at this book, 50,000 words written in haste does not a novel make ... etc."

But I've decided this year I might as well close my eyes and hold my breath and use NaNoWriMo for my own means. I'm about 15,000 words into my new draft of HART, but that doesn't mean I shouldn't try to crank out the next 50,000 as quick as I can, right? And since I write completely from scratch on every rewrite, I've decided that as long as I start where I am, p. 46, Chapter 4, and move FORWARD 50,000 words, I'm mostly playing by the rules.

Plus, any added pressure not to allow the holiday rush to pull me out of the office is most welcome.

SO, for those of you who have just joined me:

HART / ITS CLINGING HABIT (working titles) is the story of Anna Cohen, a senior at Hart Preparatory School, who attempts to dull her loneliness, isolation, and feelings of ordinariness by pursuing a sexual relationship with the school's popular new teacher, Marcus Green.

No comments: